May 29, 2012

The Collection Vol. 16 (Spring 1999)





Side A

Eric Clapton-Layla (Unplugged)
Bush-Comedown
Beastie Boys-The Move
Lauryn Hill-Forgive Them Father
Madonna-Ray Of Light
Lit-My Own Worst Enemy
Pearl Jam-Yellow Ledbetter
Beastie Boys-I Don't Know
Blur-Tender
Monica-Don't Take It Personal (Just One Of Dem Days)
Monica-Forever Always

Side B

Madonna-Nothing Really Matters
A Tribe Called Quest-Electric Relaxation
Lauryn Hill-Final Hour
Eurtyhmics-Sweet Dreams (Are Made Of These)
Beastie Boys-Sure Shot
TLC-No Scrubs
Marilyn Manson-The Beautiful People
Nicole-Make It Hot
Brandy-Almost Doesn't Count
Edwin Starr-War
Metallica-One
Orgy-Blue Monday

With Vol. 16, my CD collection grew from one to three with the addition of Beastie Boys' Hello Nasty and Madonna's Ray Of Light. Since I spent most of the allowance I got from my mother on comic books, magazines and blank tapes, I didn't have the funds to buy CDs on a regular basis until my brother decided to throw me an extra $20 every two weeks when he got paid. Like clockwork, I would walk to the K-Mart in our neighborhood sometime during that weekend and buy a CD. It's where I bought The Miseducation of Lauryn Hill and many more that followed.

Not only would I be able to use my brother's CDs, but I was now starting to add even more of my myself into The Collection with selections of album tracks from CDs that I purchased. It may not seem like much, but it meant a world of difference since I wasn't able to do the same with my cassettes, which I had for years. The rest of Vol. 16 was business as usual, with an assortment of radio favorites and selected songs from my brother's CDs.


Song that inclues the unofficial riff of the late 90's, in my opinion: Lit - My Own Worst Enemy

When I look back at some of these songs, it's hard to believe how I didn't like them from the beginning. I'd like to think that I had fairly open-minded taste at times back then, but I was usually quick to dismiss something for a number of petty things before eventually finding favor with it. In the case of "My Own Worst Enemy," I thought it sounded too bratty and immature and portrayed itself as lacking substance. Eventually, I grew to accept that doesn't necessarily matter when making a good recording and I definitely appreciate this song tons more than I did back in 1999. It might have been around the 30th or 40th time that I heard it on radio that I realized that opening riff was too much fun to let overanalysis get in the way. Due to its multiple uses in movie trailers and commercials, I think a lot of people tend to feel the same way and it's also why whenever I think of this period, a lot of times this riff will pop in my head.




Another song that built the case for listening to albums all the way through, in my young mind: Monica-Forever Always

The singles for Monica's debut album, Miss Thang (as a reminder, "Don't Take It Personal," "Before You Walk Out Of My Life, "Like This And That," & "Why I Love You So Much") ranged from solid to pretty damn good, so it was no surprise that her album would have some worthwhile tracks as well, considering Dallas Austin's involvement. Still, it was pleasing to discover "Forever Always" buried at the end of the album, a track that could have easily worked as a fifth single for Miss Thang.




Song I was shocked to learn that my classmates didn't like: Blur-Tender

So remember when I wrote about the Superlist, a weekly chart I created based on the popularity of songs? Well, to further my music geekery, I actually had an awards show based on the Superlist. Yep, I created the categories, filled the nomination fields and declared my own winners. Looking back, I'm surprised that not one person laughed at me for going to the extent I did. There was indeed some astonishment, but for the most part, as with most awards shows of any kind, people were more likely to debate the results. That's even more mind-boggling now because here you had kids chastizing me over certain categories and results for an award that was imaginary. Anyway, I mention this because one year, I had Blur's "Tender" taking Best Alternative Group Performance and one of my classmates couldn't believe it because he thought it was a crap song. Someone else chimed in and agreed and I was a bit dismayed. The first time I heard it, I thought it was such a beautiful track and a nice change of pace for Blur. For me, it was also one of the more emotional songs on radio during its time. I listen to it now and my feelings have not changed. You were wrong, Johnny!




Song that never failed to get the party started in Club Ivan aka my bedroom: Madonna-Nothing Really Matters

As you'll find out in the next few volumes, Ray of Light was an album that I adored very much and I know there are a few other songs coming up that strike more of an emotional chord that I can go more in depth with. For now, I just want to highlight how awesome of a groove this track provided.




Song that ranks as my favorite Brandy song: Brandy-Almost Doesn't Count

With "Brokenhearted" and "Sittin' Up In My Room" following up very closely, "Almost Doesn't Count" became my favorite Brandy song in very little time. It was one of the first tracks that enabled her to leave behind her teenage past and made me view her as a woman. I've always thought Brandy had a good recording career, but whenever this song came on, it was always felt like it was a huge step above anything else she had done, probably because of how effortlessly solemn she sounded.




Song from Hello Nasty that I played the most for my friends: Beastie Boys-I Don't Know

By this time, Hello Nasty had been out for more than half a year and with all the reviews and year-end accolades, I knew to expect some curveballs from their typical sound. It was always fun to see people's reaction afte I played them this song and told them they had been listening to the Beastie Boys. Things wouldn't have mattered if they hadn't been able to pull it off. On paper, it always seems interesting whenever a well-known artist switches things up, but that can only be as enjoyable as the execution. With "I Don't Know," I did feel that initial high of experiencing something different from them, but it soon became a welcome companion in the typical life of an adolescent. I even printed out the lyrics and posted it in my locker.

No comments:

Post a Comment